GrabBee-HD
Dave Kimble
2014-10-16 21:18:39 UTC
I have just bought an HDMI to USB-2.0 grabber called "GrabBee-HD".
http://www.greada.com/grabbeex-hd.html
Motherboard photo: Loading Image...
Inside it has chips labelled "Sigma PL330B-CPE3" and "iTE IT6604E".
Note that it compresses the video with H.264 .

I knew it probably wouldn't have drivers for Linux, but it does have
Windows drivers on CD,
so since I run Ubuntu-VirtualBox-WinXP I thought it might well work one
way or another.

On Ubuntu 14.04, the USB device is picked up:
$ lsusb -v -d 0658:1100

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0658:1100 Sigma Designs, Inc.
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x0658 Sigma Designs, Inc.
idProduct 0x1100
bcdDevice 0.00
iManufacturer 1
iProduct 2
iSerial 3
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 46
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 4
bmAttributes 0x80
(Bus Powered)
MaxPower 500mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 4
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 0
bInterfaceProtocol 0
iInterface 4
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 3
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x04 EP 4 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 3
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 3
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x83 EP 3 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 3
====

but it is not recognised as a video capture device by VLC.
/dev/dvb/ , /dev/v4l/ , /dev/video0 do not exist.

So I fired up VB-WinXP and installed the Windows drivers and software,
and restarted.
Then plugged in the device, which should connect the device to the
driver, but it didn't.
Starting the Grabbee-HD software gives "No video capture device is
connected!"
Then I realised the USB device has to be passed through the VB interface,
VB-Manager > USB > Add > "no devices available".

So because Ubuntu doesn't properly recognise the device, it can't pass
it on to VB and XP.

Is there any chance of getting this going on Ubuntu 14.04 natively?
Steven Toth
2014-10-16 21:40:47 UTC
Dave Kimble
2014-10-17 07:29:25 UTC
Thanks for your reply.
Your feeling that VB-WinXP would be the problem sent me back to that.
So I found that VB picking up USB 2.0 devices requires the Extension
Pack installed with ehci controller enabled , and that cured that
problem, and the device now finds it's XP driver.

The grabber software loads OK and asks for the signal information. Since
the software goes with this particular device, I am surprised at this -
it should know it already, shouldn't it?

Although the software's input is the device's output, it also seems to
depend on the device's input, i.e. the HDMI stream.This stream comes via
satellite dish and decoder box, and is picking up Freeview channels in
Australia.

Almost all of the options produce the error: "Sigma Designs USB Device
device does not active or error !" [sic]
The best combination of options produces a good picture, but it moves
very slowly and after a few seconds freezes.
XP cannot then terminate the process, and neither can VB > Close.
So I have to VB > Reset
Then Ubuntu loses the device from lsusb and it needs too be unplugged
and plugged in again, and VB-WinXP started again.

Any assistance would be welcome - as you can probably tell, I really
don't know what I'm doing.

Dave
Post by Steven Toth
Ok, no nobody jumped in the first time around..... my turn I guess... :)
Comments below.
Motherboard photo:http://www.davekimble.org.au/computers/GrabBee-HD.jpg
Inside it has chips labelled "Sigma PL330B-CPE3" and "iTE IT6604E".
Note that it compresses the video with H.264 .
I've worked on drivers for those two chips in the past. I have a large
amount of experience with these parts.
Post by Dave Kimble
I knew it probably wouldn't have drivers for Linux, but it does have Windows
drivers on CD,
so since I run Ubuntu-VirtualBox-WinXP I thought it might well work one way
or another.
Correct, no Linux drivers.
Post by Dave Kimble
$ lsusb -v -d 0658:1100
<snip>
Post by Dave Kimble
but it is not recognised as a video capture device by VLC.
/dev/dvb/ , /dev/v4l/ , /dev/video0 do not exist.
Correct. Linux has no support for that device. :(
Post by Dave Kimble
So I fired up VB-WinXP and installed the Windows drivers and software, and
restarted.
Then plugged in the device, which should connect the device to the driver,
but it didn't.
That's odd. It suggests an (off topic) windows related driver problem,
or a virtual machine issue.
Post by Dave Kimble
Starting the Grabbee-HD software gives "No video capture device is
connected!"
Then I realised the USB device has to be passed through the VB interface,
VB-Manager > USB > Add > "no devices available".
So because Ubuntu doesn't properly recognise the device, it can't pass it on
to VB and XP.
I don't think the virtual machines work that way, at least not in my
experience. I've always been able to do what you want to do on various
platforms. Sorry, I can't really help you debug Windows / Virtual
machine issues.
Post by Dave Kimble
Is there any chance of getting this going on Ubuntu 14.04 natively?
Unlikely. Sigma are generally GPL unfriendly.
I've done drivers for this chip on OSX before, mostly as a R&D
exercise, so I'm highly familiar with it. The chip is a monster to
write for, kinda nasty to be honest - not very straightforward.
I think you're out of luck.
- Steve
Steven Toth
2014-10-17 12:04:57 UTC
Post by Dave Kimble
Thanks for your reply.
Your feeling that VB-WinXP would be the problem sent me back to that.
So I found that VB picking up USB 2.0 devices requires the Extension Pack
installed with ehci controller enabled , and that cured that problem, and
the device now finds it's XP driver.
Ahh good to know, thanks for the feedback. I generally don't use VB, I
go with VMWare on multiple platforms.
Post by Dave Kimble
The grabber software loads OK and asks for the signal information. Since the
software goes with this particular device, I am surprised at this - it
should know it already, shouldn't it?
Yes.
Post by Dave Kimble
Although the software's input is the device's output, it also seems to
depend on the device's input, i.e. the HDMI stream.This stream comes via
satellite dish and decoder box, and is picking up Freeview channels in
Australia.
Almost all of the options produce the error: "Sigma Designs USB Device
device does not active or error !" [sic]
The best combination of options produces a good picture, but it moves very
slowly and after a few seconds freezes.
XP cannot then terminate the process, and neither can VB > Close.
So I have to VB > Reset
Then Ubuntu loses the device from lsusb and it needs too be unplugged and
plugged in again, and VB-WinXP started again.
Urgh.
Post by Dave Kimble
Any assistance would be welcome - as you can probably tell, I really don't
know what I'm doing.
Probably best to validate the hardware and software on its intended
platform and check that everything functions properly. Who knows,
maybe you've got a buggy build or a flakey stick. You may be confusing
one set of problems for VB related when in fact they're something
else.

- Steve
Post by Dave Kimble
Dave
Post by Dave Kimble
I knew it probably wouldn't have drivers for Linux, but it does have Windows
drivers on CD,
so since I run Ubuntu-VirtualBox-WinXP I thought it might well work one way
or another.
Correct, no Linux drivers.
Post by Dave Kimble
$ lsusb -v -d 0658:1100
<snip>
--
Steven Toth - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com
+1.646.355.8490
Steven Toth
2014-10-17 22:34:14 UTC
So I think this is going to be a very poor toy.
Its the kind of thing I usually like to throw into my collection for
the long winter nights. If you can give me a url that I can purchase
this from then I may pick a unit for future tweakery.

- Steve
--
Steven Toth - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com
Dave Kimble
2014-10-18 01:27:54 UTC
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/190-6601431-1833600?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=grabbee-hd
$99.95
I got mine on eBay for $76 from Hong Kong.
Now going cheap :-)

Just thinking aloud:
My PCs are all mini-ITX in very small cases, so PCI card solutions are
not suitable.
The decoder box is UEC DSD4121 using VAST (DVB-S2) with AV and HDMI outputs.
There's a UEC upgrade kit to use the USB port with an external HDD to
record for $65.
Might try that next.
Other options?

Dave